Bus Route: Victoria to Xlendi - Bus
Fontana, locally known simply
as "Triq tal-Ghajn", (the way to the spring), took its
name from a bountiful spring at the bottom of the road leading to
Fontana is Italian terminology for spring. Fontana, a suburb of
Victoria, lies downhill
on the Rabat-Xlendi road. People began to inhabit the area because
of this useful fresh water springs. Arched shelters were built in
the sixteenth century over each spring for the convenience of the
people. Inside one can still find traditional stone water tubs in
which local folk could do their daily washing.
Most of the fishermen that operated from Xlendi
lived in Fontana. Late in the nineteenth century, they began setting
aside part of the proceeds from their catches to construct a church.
The church was consecrated on 29 January 1904, and was dedicated
to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in 1905. The church
was established as parish of Fontana on 27 March 1911 under Bishop
Giovanni Maria Camilleri. The spectacular village feast
is celebrated each year around the 2nd and 3rd week of June.
On the lower part of Fontana, on the right-hand side of the road
to Xlendi, one could not help but notice the evergreen Lunzjata
Valley going up to the village of Kercem.
Local farmers busy around all year long in this fertile part of
Gozo. A very old irrigation system made up from stone gutters constantly
brings water from a spring situated in the Kercem part of the valley.