Bus Route: Victoria to Sannat (via
Munxar) - Bus No.50
Sannat or more precisely Ta' Sannat,
lies to the south of the island of Gozo. The name is probably derived
from that of an Arabic-Greek family that moved to Gozo from Sicily.
At Ta' Cenc, (within the limits of ta' Sannat), there is L-Imramma
Temple, a primitive type prehistoric temple
made up of a sort of an oval court with a series oval rooms to the
north. Other interesting remains are three dolmens. Ta' Cenc is
also famous for its spectacular precipices or cliffs, that are the
natural home of several wildlife species, both flora and fauna.
Lying low by Ta' Cenc, one could admire the natural beauty of Hanzira
valley, a natural gorge separating Sannat from the village of Xewkija.
The valley, due to its steep rocky sides, has little signs of human
interference and leads down to Mgarr
ix-Xini Bay to the South of Gozo. This bay is not as popular
with swimmers as it is with divers
as it is one of Gozo's best places for diving and the wreck of the
once Malta-Gozo ferryboat Xlendi
rests on the seabed, a few hundred metres away from the bay's outer
Sannat was one of the first places in Gozo to become a separate
parish. Bishop Davide Cocco-Palmieri established the parish of Sannat
on 28 April 1688. The present church dedicated to St. Margaret Martyr
was initiated on the site of a smaller one in 1718 and was consecrated
on 16 October 1755. However, after the significant structural changes,
it was consecrated again on 22 November 1868. It was raised to the
Archipresbyteral status on 27 December 1893. The church has a very
good altarpiece by Stefano Erardi, a famed local painter. The village
feast of St. Margaret is
celebrated each year around the third week of July.