Reflecting the religious
Gozitan culture, there is an abundance of churches scattered all
over the island.
The most interesting are the Sanctuary Basilica at
Ta' Pinu built from 1920 till 1931 in Romanesque style, on the remnants
of a 16th century chapel, as well as the Rotonda Church of Xewkija,
with the third largest dome in Europe (86 metres in circumference
and 75 metres high).
Some other interesting churches are: Our
Lady of Lourdes (Gothic church in Mgarr), the Cathedral
of the Citadel (Victoria),
St. George's Church (Victoria),
the Parish Church in Nadur
and Our Lady of Victories in Xaghra.
Between Victoria and Kercem,
situated in the Lunzjata Valley, the Chapel of the Annunciation
is found. This is the oldest chapel on Gozo, built in 1347 and rebuilt