Calypso Cave is situated in Xaghra
and overlooks the red sands of Gozo's finest beach, 'Ramla
l-Hamra'. This cave is alleged to be the cave referred to by
Homer in "The Odyssey". Some are even convinced that Gozo
is the Island of Ogygia and the cave to be the one where the beautiful
nymph Calypso kept Odysseus as a "prisoner of love" for
The cave itself is not that impressive but it does
generate a feeling of excitement due to its links with Greek mythology.
Apart from that, one can also enjoy a breath taking view of the
picteresque Ramla l-Hamra Bay. On the shore below the Calypso Cave
one can also see the ruins of a fortification built by the Knights
of Malta in the mid-18th century to serve as defence against invading
A small cave with nice natural speleothems or stalactite and stalagmite
formations. It is located below a residential building in a street
that bears the cave's name in Xaghra.
The cave was discovered in 1924 by the owners' grandfather while
he was digging a well. It is well illuminated by electric lights.
The entrance is gained via a 10 m spiral staircase, which is the
dimension of the original well, thus this cave is not suitable for
anybody suffering from vertigo, unsteady on his or her feet, or
suffering from other health conditions. Behind the staircase is a passage 7 m long. In front of
the steps the passage widens to about 3m. This is a circular tour
about 30 m long. The passage leads to some very pretty calcification
formations that are only 25 cm to one metre high. There are also
some interesting formations, which have developed as the result
of calcification of tree roots. The visitor will be shown speleothems
resembling a tortoise, a vulture, a giraffe and a pair of elephant's
Part of the excavations was carried out during the
Second World War when the owning family used the cave as an air
Joseph Rapa discovered the natural cave in 1888. It is located in
the rear of No 15 January Street, about 75 m from the parish church,
in the village of Xaghra.
The cave is well illuminated by electric lights.
It was immediately considered remarkable because
of the prolific number of natural stalactite and stalagmite formations.
It is entered via a 4 m descent down a flight of steps, which end
in a large chamber approximately 20 m by 8m. The calcification of
water dripping from the cave ceiling formed numerous magnificent
columns standing side by side like some petrified forest. In the
past the cave must have been even more spectacular because there
is evidence of numerous straw stalactites, which have now been broken
off. There are even a few helictites.
The formations are now dry and mainly the same colour
as the surrounding rock, although some are semitransparent and it
is possible to see the rings formed as they grew.